Detail drawing views fully with SOLIDWORKS 3D CAD to quickly and easily document your designs for manufacturing, inspection, design proposals, and other uses. You can also add dimension and tolerance, and annotate directly in your 3D models, speeding up design, saving time and development costs, and increasing productivity.
CAD Dimensioning, Tolerancing, and Annotations Overview
SOLIDWORKS provides dimensioning, tolerancing, and annotating for both 2D drawings and 3D models:
- For 2D drawings, you can fully detail drawing views to quickly and easily document your designs by using tools that automate the creation, placement, and arrangement of dimensions in 2D. SOLIDWORKS also provides tools to automate the creation of intelligent geometric tolerances.
- Dimension, tolerance, and annotate directly in your 3D models, which can then be displayed automatically in the appropriate drawing views in your 2D drawings.
- Choose to go “drawing-less”—simply display dimensions, tolerances, and annotations in the 3D model only, and skip the creation of 2D drawings altogether. If you are looking for a complete “drawing-less” or MBD (Model Based Definition) solution for SOLIDWORKS please see SOLIDWORKS MBD
SOLIDWORKS dimensioning, tolerancing, and annotation capabilities include:
- Support for Drafting Standards: ANSI, ISO, DIN, JIS, BSI, GOST, GB
- Manual and automated dimensioning and tolerancing, including geometric tolerancing
- Automated geometric dimensioning and tolerancing per ASME Y14.5/Y14.41 and ISO 1101/16792
- Standard or geometric tolerancing types are supported
- Meet ASME Y14.41 and ISO 16792 3D dimensioning and tolerancing standards
- Add dimensions during modeling and/or during drawing creation
- Use baseline, reference, ordinate, and other dimension types
- Fully control the appearance of dimensions and dimension lines and more