How to change your serial number
There might be a time when you need to change the serial number used for your SOLIDWORKSinstallation.
For example, it is a need if... your company is changing from a stand-alone to a network license, you have installed the wrong license on your system, you’re moving your SOLIDWORKS to a new workstation, or you have completed your evaluation and need to use your permanent license.
To change the serial number that your SOLIDWORKSinstallation is using for licensing, you DO NOT need to completely UNINSTALL SolidWorks. You can change it directly through the SOLIDWORKSInstallation Manager.
Releasing Current Install License
Since SOLIDWORKS2008, activations have been necessary for stand-alone and evaluation licenses. Prior to changing your serial number, you will need to release this information. To do so, open your SOLIDWORKSapplication. In the Help pulldown menu, select “Transfer Licenses…” as seen below.
To change the serial number:
- Go to the Windows Control Panel and launch “Programs and Features” (if you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8) or “Add Remove Programs” (if you are using Windows XP).
- From the list of installed programs, find the SOLIDWORKSinstallation, select it and click Change. (Do NOT Select Uninstall, if the only option available is Uninstall, then your SOLIDWORKSwas installed using an Administrative Image and you will need to have your IT administrator to contact DASI Solutions Technical Support for further instructions.)
- The SOLIDWORKSInstallation Manager will now launch. Select the top option, “Modify the individual installation” and click “Next”.
- On the “Serial Number” screen of the Installation Manager, you can now change the serial number to the new one that you want to use. (CRTL+V will paste the serial number into the 6 boxes.)
- Once the new serial number is entered, click “Next” through the rest of the installation screens without making any further changes.
These steps can also be used if you have purchased an additional license of SOLIDWORKSSimulation, SOLIDWORKSMotion, SOLIDWORKSFlow Simulation or SOLIDWORKSWorkgroup PDM.
On the Serial Number screen, simply check the box beside the product you wish to add, then enter in the serial number. On the “Product Selection” page, make sure that the additional products that should be installed are selected. These should be checked by the Installation Manager as part of the entitlement check that happens after entering the serial number.